2022-2023 William L. Bucknall Excellence in Teaching Award
Nominations Due: Wednesday 9/28/22 by 5 pm
Application Materials Due: Tuesday, October 18th by 5 p.m.
Letters of Support Due: Thursday, October 20th by 5 p.m.
William L. Bucknall Excellence in Teaching Award Description
A $25,000 award supported by former University of New Haven Board of Governors Chair and distinguished alumnus Bill Bucknall ’63 A.S.,’65 to recognize exemplary teaching by full-time faculty at the University. Recipients will be recognized for outstanding instruction both inside and outside the classroom. Evidence of engaged teaching practices should be demonstrated throughout the recipient’s teaching portfolio, and a progressive record of leading high-impact experiential activities with students outside typical instructional settings is also required. Faculty scholarship and service performance should meet or exceed departmental expectations for promotion in rank.
The $25,000 award will be distributed as a $15,000 one-time payment to the award winner soon after the award event that will take place in November 2022, with a $10,000 budget provided during the 2023 calendar year to cover expenses related to professional development (e.g., conferences or workshops), teaching and research expenses/resources (e.g., classroom supplies, student field trips, guest speaker travel expenses, equipment, software or other technology for teaching, or a stipend for a teaching assistant), or other expenses related to innovative teaching practices or assessment.
Nominees must submit all the following materials by Tuesday, October 18th by 5 p.m.
· A 500-word personal statement from the nominee that includes:
o Self-reflective commentary on personal practices of learning and teaching
o Summary of innovative, hands-on approaches in active use with students inside and outside the classroom
o Example(s) of success achieved over the last several years in engaging students and advancing learning outcomes using these approaches and/or a record of publication in discipline-based or SOTL journals (i.e., Scholarship of Teaching and Learning)
· Record of development of new curricula, courses, instructional activities, or varied media for learning
· At least two recent course syllabi and 1-2 student projects that illustrate points covered in the personal statement above, along with PDFs of course evaluation reports from 2021-2022 terms (Selected course evaluation reports from earlier terms can also be included.)
· Proposed use for $10,000 supplementary budget and proposed approach(es) to share teaching practices with the University of New Haven community and with others outside the University community
· Current CV
· Two letters of support (e.g., from faculty colleagues and/or faculty development staff members). Deans and Provost Office cannot provide letters of support because of their roles on the applicant selection committee. Letters of Support Due: Thursday, October 20th by 5 p.m.
Submitting the Application Materials
Submit all materials, not including the letters of support, no later than 5 p.m. on Tuesday, October 18th, using the form linked here.
Letters of support can be submitted separately (via email to email@example.com), but must be received by 5 p.m. on Thursday, October 20th.
Selection and Campus Announcement
A committee reviews the materials, with membership consisting of the college deans, the assistant provost for assessment & faculty development, an administrative staff member appointed by the provost who works closely with faculty on instructional matters, and the previous year’s recipient of the Bucknall Award.
The committee will review the applicants’ submissions for consideration and rank the applicants for review by the provost and the president.
The recipient will be named in November and recognized at a campus reception.